Over the years, statistics have proven that a lightning strike is more deadly than any other storm-induced calamity like tornados, floods, and hurricanes. When a storm is brewing, we need to stay informed as what to do in case of lightning and thunder while keeping a close monitor of the progress of the weather.
It is an amazing site to see bolts of lightning strike in the far distance. Knowing when to enjoy the show and when to seek shelter makes all the difference between fun and misery. You can actually determine if that picturesque lightning is a threat to your life:
- Check the weather reports, especially before moving outdoors.
- The 30/30 rule: count the seconds from a lightning flash until a thunder is heard. If it is less than 30 seconds, take immediate shelter as you are in the danger zone.
- Once the storm has passed, stay inside for at least 30 minutes to minimize any chance of being struck by lightning.
- You can also determine the distance of a lightning strike by simply dividing the number of seconds between lightning and thunder by 5.
- You can feel your hair standing at its end
What are some of the best lightning safety ways?
If you are outside:
- Avoid taking shelter under a tree and if no option is available seek shelter in a low stand of trees
- If you are above tree line, seek shelter in the lowest area you can reach
- A valley or depression in a terrain will be one of the safest place to be during a thunderstorm
- If you have a metal objects on you like a backpack or safety harness, keep it at least 100 feet away from you
- What will you do if no shelter is available: crouch down on the balls of your feet with your head tucked down and your hands covering your ears. Make your footprint as small as possible on the ground. This is one of the best ways to reduce the chance of being hit by a lightning strike
Lightning Safety Devices From Lightning Eliminators
The good news is that over the years lightning death have decreased due to increased lightning safety awareness and advanced lightning protection system.
Lightning Eliminators & Consultants, Inc. has over 105 years of experience in all aspects of lightning strike prevention, control, subsequent risk mitigation and management along with research and innovative product development. Contact them today and take advantage of their no strike warranty, technical development superiority, outstanding consulting services and solution delivery.