Working Outdoors? Consider These Lightning Safety TipsJuly 29, 2017
Surge Protection Is a Great Investment Against Lightning StrikesJuly 29, 2017
Some people love a great thunderstorm whereas others are petrified by its first flash. Love them or hate them, a thunderstorm producing lightning is dangerous. In less than a microsecond, a lightning discharge can generate millions of amps of electricity. And it can hit anywhere; directly beneath the clouds or 18 miles away from its place of generation, so it is critical to consider some lightning safety tips.
Lightning Safety tips
Lightning Eliminators believes you should not attract lightning but Eliminate it to protect your facilities and operations from its potential damage.
- Home and office is the safest place to be during a thunderstorm and lightning strike.
- Seek shelter in a hard top vehicle if you are stuck outside.
- If you are outside and shelter is not available, crouch down with minimum contact with the ground, tuck your head in and cover your ears.
- When outside stay away from water sources and tall trees.
- Equip your home with a fire and smoke detector. Due to the heat, a lightning strike can easily cause a fire; these detectors will warn you to evacuate the building immediately.
- Make sure all your appliances are plugged into grounding outlets that offer surge protection. However for maximum safety follow these lightning safety tips like unplugging computers, televisions, microwaves and other electrical appliances.
- Consult professionals like Lightning Eliminators & Consultants Inc. about installing lightning protection combined with whole house surge protection. Protection starts from the roof and these rods will help direct lightning safely away from your home into the ground.
- A lightning protection system is a series of lightning rods, main conductors and ground rods that, depending on the size and layout of your house, intercept lightning strike and pass them to the ground.
- Surge protectors help protect equipment from power spikes caused by the distant lightning strike. Both types of surge protectors are the best form of lightning safety.
- Have a good home insurance policy to protect you against these catastrophic events that can wreak havoc to your family, property, and finances.
To learn more about which system may be best for your home, contact Lightning Eliminators & Consultants Inc.
They have been protecting family and business from the dangers of lightning strikes since 1971.