A direct lightning strike can be a tremendous loss, costing millions of dollars. Mostly these strikes occur on or near residence, causing havoc on the home’s electrical system, appliances, and electronics. Fortunately, there are ways to help safeguard your property, family and yourself from lightning damage.
– A lightning can strike even during dry conditions
– Lightning can cause damage to areas up to 10 miles away from the place of rainfall.
– The area surrounding a lighting strike is five times hotter than the sun.
– Lightning strike can transfer up to 100 million volts of electricity
– There are about 25 million flashes of lightning strike in United States alone
– Florida and other Gulf Coast states experiences most lighting strikes
The safest place to be during a lightning strike is your office or home. Still, some precautions needs to be taken to prevent any lightning damage. Try to stay away from anything that conducts electricity such as:
– Electrical and electronic appliances
– Metal frames and surfaces
– Anything connected to the plumbing system
– Even the water heaters, ovens, furnaces, and fireplaces should not be touched.
However, taking so many precautions may be difficult. The easiest way is to install a lightning protection system.
Investing in the right lightning protection system is the best way to protect everyone from lightning damage. These systems create a pathway for lightning bolts to ground themselves. Without a designated path, electrical wirings, metal plumbing pipes and even the metal gas system lines become potential pathways, thus causing damage to every device connected. A tailored system specifically for the home can safely guide the strike to the ground without harming anyone or anything.
Lightning strikes near power lines can cause huge power surges, thus a surge protection device should be installed in conjunction with a lightning protection system. These SPD (point of use Surge Protection Device) do not suppress or arrest a surge; they divert it to the ground. This provides an extra layer of protection to your electrical and electronic appliances.
Lightning damage can cause irreparable damage. Take immediate action of getting your exterior and home systems checked and then installing the correct lightning protection devices.
Lightning Eliminators & Consultants Inc., are pioneers in this field since 1971. Their name is synonymous with international standard protection and no strike warranty.